What is SEO?
The abbreviation SEO is short for «search engine optimization». On the Internet, among web masters and site builders, it’s possible to hear its synonyms: web site promotion, site optimization, site promotion in search engines and lots of others. What’s the essence?
Most of us make ourselves at home being on the Internet. It is there where we rest, study, socialize, and look for information. For sure you’ve got some search engine as your home page; Most probably it’s Google, Bing, Yahoo! or Yandex. I’ll talk about main parameters, by which search engines sort sites. We won’t go too deep into detail for two reasons:
- nobody has profound knowledge about that except for the search engine itself
- web ranking parameters are being permanently changed
Visibility Zone in SEO
We are all lazy people and while searching for information we usually look through only the first 10 links suggested to us; only a few of us go to the second set of 10 and only the strongest pay attention to the next 10. In general, almost no one goes through more than 30 links upon search query. This is called the site’s “search engine visibility zone”. Imagine how many sites want to get into this zone: a zillion! Seems improbable? Just look at the number of answers to your request generated by your search engine :-). By the way, I’d love to get there too with this article with the query «What is SEO».
Why do I need to get into the Top 10? That’s because I want to bring you important information in an understandable way. What if you still don’t know what SEO is? For people in business, it’s vitally important: after all, as Bill Gates said, «Those who don’t have online business, will soon have no business at all». Such business queries as «tours to Egypt» or « marketing services» are also called commercial queries. There are also other ones: for instance, someone plans a route on a map and then looks for photos and videos.
To get into Top, site owners use different tricks (good and bad) called white, grey, and black hat SEO methods. To be more specific, they optimize their site for search engines. Consequently it becomes easier for web crawlers to find and suggest a web page, that would give the most exact answer to the question entered in search box.
Generally, the main white hat SEO methods are:
- navigation improvement (usability, see «Designing Web Usability», a book by Jakob Nielsen);
- site download speed;
- content uniqueness, accurate keyword selection and their density;
- interlinking (putting cross links between web pages on a similar site);
- registration in white catalogs, preferably thematic;
- increasing link quantity (with non-anchors entry) to the site (from other web resources preferably)
- authoritative from search engines’ perspective;
- behavioral factors, i.e. the manner of user’s behavior on the site: how much time he spends on the site, how many pages he looks through etc.
An SEO copywriter should appeal to such concepts as content uniqueness, accurate keyword selection and their density. What does copywriter need SEO for?